I learnt this recipe from my mother in law.It came out perfect.I thought of making this upfront for Krishna Jayanthi. However the whole batch was finished yesterday itself:-)
Rice flour: 1 cup
Urad dal flour: 1 tablespoon
Salt: 3/4 tsp
Grated coconut:2 tablespoons
Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Butter: 2 tablespoon
Bengal gram dal/Kadala parupu: 2 tsp
White Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
Oil: to fry
Curry leaves: a sprig (optional)
The above quantity yields around 25 small thattais
Urad dhal flour:
Dry roast the urad dhal until a nice aroma comes out.It should slightly change the color but should not become deep reddish brown
Allow it to cool and powder in mixie
Sift the flour and store in air tight container.
Mix rice flour, urad dhal flour, salt, hing and chilli powder well.Sift this mixture well.
Soak the channa dal in water for 15 minutes
Add the grated coconut.
If you are using frozen coconut, thaw it before adding
Add the butter and mix well
Boil 1/2 cup of water and add salt and asafoetida and allow it to cool
Now add salt water and drained channa dhal and knead to a pliable dough (Similar to chappathi dough). Add more water if necessary
Make the thattai shapes using butter/wax paper
Make small balls and place it on butter paper
Cover it with another butter paper and press the balls with a heavy tumbler
This way it will be easy to make the thattais with perfect round shape
Make sure that thattais are little thin so that it comes out crispy
Using a fork make small holes in the thattai (This will avoid puffing like pooris)
Pre heat the oil and fry the thattais to golden brown.Use medium to high heat
- Make sure you sift the flour and the sesame seed is free of stones to avoid bursting
- Dont add too much of urad dhal flour which may result in chewy thattai
- Fry in medium heat to make sure the inner part is also crispy
- If using frozen coconut, thaw it before use. Can also roast it slightly.
- Dry chilli flakes can also be added instead of chilli powder
- The flavour is enhanced when coconut oil is used for frying.I have tried this using canola oil and also sunflower oil.
- Make the thattais little thin.If it is too thick, then inner part may not turn crispy
Step by Step Pictures