Thogayal is a staple in our home and Pudhina thogayal is my all time favourite. Pudhina thogayal can be served with hot rice or as an accompaniment for idli/dosa.
Fresh mint: 1 bunch
Bengal gram dhal/Kadala paruppu: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 2 tablespoon
Red chillies: 2
Tamarind: a small gooseberry sized
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Asafeotida: a pinch
Oil: 1 tsp
- Remove the stems and stalks from the pudina and separate the leaves
- Wash the leaves thoroughly and keep it aside
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add the redchillies.
- Once it has fluffed up a bit, add the urad and bengal gram dhal and fry until it turns reddish brown
- Now add the tamarind, hing and fry for a few seconds
- Switch off the flame and add the mint leaves and fry it in the same heat
- Allow to cool and grind it along with salt and water to a coarse paste