This is one of the simple and easy to make variety rice provided that grated coconut is available handy.I love to have coconut rice with potato curry
|Raw rice||1/2 cup|
|Grated coconut||1 cup|
|Channa dal||1 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||a sprig|
1) Wash and cook the rice with enough water
2) Spread the rice in a bowl and allow to cool for a while
3) Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once it starts spluttering add channa dhal and urad dhal, and fry until it is golden brown. Add chopped ginger and green chillies and fry well.
4) Add the broken red chillies,cashew nuts, asafoetida,salt and curry leaves.
5) Add the grated coconut and fry for less than a minute
6) Finally add the cooked rice and mix well.
Finely chopped ginger can also be used for tempering
Allow the rice to cool for a while before mixing. It it is too hot, the rice may get smashed.
Coconut oil can be used for enhanced flavor